The Information We GatherWe collect information about you in three ways:
Information You Voluntarily Provide UsWe collect and maintain information that you voluntarily submit to us during your use of the Sites and Services. For example:
- when you register for a Site, you may provide us certain information including your name, email address, screen name, password, demographic information, and the health topics that interest you;
- to engage a Site’s social networking function, you may add to your profile by providing information about your interests or health topics. For example, your profile may list your favorite healthy foods or movie;
- if you are registering for a customized program, you may provide us answers to questions we use to provide you the program;
- if you sign-up to receive a newsletter, enter a contest or participate in social networking activities, we may require that you provide us contact information (e.g., email or physical address);
- if you purchase a product or service through the Site, we collect credit card information, and
- you may provide us with personal information in the course of email, customer support interactions, and surveys.
Information We Collect Through Your Use Of The SiteAs you use the Site and Services, certain information may also be passively collected. Through technologies like cookies, pixels, beacons and log files, we may collect information about how you use the Site and the Services. For example, we may determine through your IP address that you are located in New York City and we may deliver advertisements promoting New York City-based businesses. By knowing about you, we can deliver more helpful information, programs, tools, and advertisements. Please see the sections below: To Target Advertising and Cookies, Web Beacons and Log Information for more information.
How We Use Your InformationWe will use your Personal Information in the ways described below or described at the time that the information is collected.
To Target AdvertisingWe believe that advertising on the Internet is more interesting to you when it is relevant. Accordingly, we customize the advertisements that you see based upon (i) the information that you knowingly provide us (e.g., age, gender, stated health interests and other information in your profile); (ii) geographic location which we determine through your IP address; (iii) data we receive from third parties or (iv) your behavior on this Site or other Sites. To assist us with the last listed category, a practice known as “Online Behavioral Advertising”, we may engage third party vendors. With the help of a cookie that our vendors place on your browser when you visit a page of the Site, we determine your interests and target advertisements and promotions based on those interests. For example, if you read an article about a particular health condition on the Site, we may determine that you are interested in that topic and through the use of the vendor’s cookie, we may later serve you an advertisement for a product intended to help sufferers of the particular health condition. The advertisement may appear when you are visiting a different section of this Site, another Site or any other website on the Internet if the website also has a relationship with our vendor. We understand that some people prefer not to receive targeted advertising and there are a few ways that you can limit the customization of the advertising we deliver to you. You can limit the way that we target advertising based on your self-reported interests and some other information in your profile by clicking on the “profile” section of this Site and deleting or modifying the information. Please see the section below on Updating and Control of Your Personal Information for more information. Please note that if you have registered on multiple Sites, you’ll need to modify your profile on each site. In addition, you can delete the cookies that we have placed on your browser. Please see the section below on Cookies, Web Beacons and Log Information for more information.
To Provide The Sites And ServicesIn general, we use your Personal Information as necessary or appropriate to:
- administer your account;
- register you and provide you access to the Site or Services;
- respond to your inquiries or requests that you direct to us;
- send communications and administrative emails about the Site or Services;
- personalize and better tailor the features, performance, and support of the Site and Services for your use;
- send you promotional/marketing information, newsletters, offers or other information regarding opportunities and integrativeity that we think would be of particular interest to you (provided that we will not give your Personal Information to any third party advertising partner without your consent);
- improve the quality of the Site and the Services, and
- analyze, benchmark and conduct research on, user data and user interactions with the Site and Services
- An “Internet protocol address” or “IP Address” is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you use the Internet. We, or our service providers, may track your IP Address when you access the Sites or Services to assist with delivering geographically targeted advertisements.